Wednesday, January 13, 2016

I'd Never

I remember
once when
I would never
grow old,
so many 
years ago 
now.

Just being grown
seemed so
many miles
from that FHA
house in Caraway
on cemetery road.

That was Then,
and Rumblefish,
a full set of 
Worldbooks from
1976, and a 
black and white
set out back,
beside my 
roll-away bed.

Life's lesson,
love doesn't last
and a marriage.
A move, and 
a new home.
I remember 
when Jonesboro
seemed so large.

I remember
when I 
could not die.
I pulled back 
scarlet swirls 
and pushed 
them in again.
I rode on top,
outside of cars.

I carried 
my big brothers 
.22 pistol 
tucked in my 
waistband,
the grip was 
small and branded
with a buffalo.  

Wind rushed
through my hair, 
and dope 
through the rest,
at some point then,
feeling alone.

I remember
finding a wife,
building a home,

I remember 
when my daughters
still spoke 
to me.

I remember rehabs,
and prisons, and
life on the streets-
a cardboard sign
and spare change.

I remember.

I remember once,
I would never grow old.

No comments:

Post a Comment